Jan 23, 2011

PV Fight Break-Up

Starting today, I'll be ending the PV fights.

It's not that I don't love doing them, but...well, they take up a lot of time, and I don't tend to get a lot out of them. Yeah, sure, it means I have an excuse to watch a billion PVs and write about them, which is great, but that's also the problem. Although it may not look like it, I put a lot of work into each little one paragraph review: I watch each PV at least twice (usually more like four or five times), looking at them from every angle I can to see if there's an interesting or artistic angle. If there is I watch even more to pin down exactly what I like and then express it clearly in writing. And if there's not, well, it take a lot of brain power to wittily rip apart those cloned pieces of crap, okay? While brain power is usually not all that limited, time really is, and I just can't afford to spend over an hour on each PV that comes out: I'd be homeless and alone, huddled outside a Starbucks to leach internet and gnawing on my headphone cable for nutrition. All to give you PV reviews.

Well I'm not doing it! I like my apartment, and my husband, and my baby, and my food.

But I do still love to watch and write about PVs. I don't want to stop watching them - any of them. One half of the reason I started this blog was so that I'd have a way to force myself to listen to new releases, and the other half was to force myself to watch and review PVs. (I really wanted a Top 5 PVs of 2010 article for GK, but that's hard to do when you've seen less than 1% of what's out there.)

But how can I satisfy my simultaneous desires for PVs, reviews, home, family, and food?

Well, net-friends, I'll be watching every PV that I can get my twisted, avaricious claws on, but I'll only be reviewing those things that I feel are noteworthy. Let's face it: there are so few that have anything unique, interesting, or truly wretched. Most of them are the 98% of the bell curve: countless "watch the band play the song" PVs, countless "couple montage with happy ending" PVs, countless "everybody's partying in the club" PVs... Concepts recycled so frequently that they may as well start recycling footage. There's almost nothing that's in the extreme 1% on either side; so few PVs like "Diver" or "Ballad" or "ONE," or like "Daisuki Da Yo," for that matter. So I'll be saving my virtual breath for those. If a PV is spectacular or wretched, expect to see a review. But if it's mediocre, why waste my time?

Thanks for understanding. I really don't want to have to eat rocks off the street to give you your PV review fix. (You should seriously consider getting professional help. Abusing strangers to feed your addiction is just wrong.)

No comments:

Post a Comment