Jan 21, 2011

Day 13 - Yamashita Tomohisa - One In A Million

I've listened to "One In A Million" more times than anything I've reviewed so far except "Gloria" by Goto Maki, and I've gotta tell you, I don't remember a lot other than the title song. Having forced myself to listen to it a little more closely, I can offer you opinions: "One in a million" - good dance song. "Kuchizuke de Adios" - cheesy song that sounds like it belongs as the opening for Wayne Newton in Las Vegas, complete with high-kicking women in feathery skirts. "My Dear" - dance ballad that's good other than some lame auto-tuning that Yamapi doesn't need. "World Is Yours" - solid non-dance ballad that is as refreshing as it is surprising. It and "One In A Million" are the best songs on the single. The "One In A Million" instrumental - not as good as the version with lyrics, and as such I could do without it.

I don't mean to deal flippantly with Yamapi, but I just found so little about the single worth commenting on that there's not a lot I can say. Nothing on the single really got stuck in my head or really struck me, with the possible exception of "Kuchizuke de Adios," which I've already commented on, and which wasn't at all the kind of music I'm interested in. In the end, neither a bad single nor good.

No comments:

Post a Comment