Jan 24, 2011

Day 16 - Fukuhara Miho - Regrets of Love

*Gah! Another assignment that comes with more than one disc! Just like with Superfly's "Wildflower," I have no intention to reviewing a million tracks if I don't have to. My original assignments were to review all the Top 5 GK albums and singles, and Jaylee specifically listed the mini-album as his pick for #5, so that's what I'm reviewing.

If this album sets the tone for Jaylee's Top 5, I'm excited for the next four days. This album is gorgeous. As can be assumed from the title, the songs are fairly soft and sad, but rather than being just-another-R&B album, "Regrets of Love" is truly wonderful music. Each song has lean instrumentation, instead focusing on Miho's voice; most tracks have no more than a drum machine and some synth strings and piano to back her up, letting her voice shine out and carry the song. It's the best choice she could have made - it would be a crime to smother that voice with any music, good or bad. (It even has the power to completely mitigate the annoyingness of Chara's voice! That's practically a superpower!) She's expressive and hits every song exactly on target - every single song will give you goosebumps. I don't think I could pick a favorite if I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment