Jan 16, 2011

Day 8 - GIRL NEXT DOOR - Freedom

I've never heard any GIRL NEXT DOOR!

(I had no idea they were dance pop.)

(Is it wrong of me to always expect rock when I like the name of a band/group?)

(Don't answer that.)

Because of the singer's voice, "Freedom" has kind of a Hamasaki Ayumi-type feeling, and the heavy reliance on post-processing doesn't help. Not a bad thing! But it's more heavy-handed than I'd like. Still, it's a fun catchy song, and it's easy to see why Zer0 liked the single enough to add to her list.

"Sayonara" sounds like a sad song trying to be happy. More maybe vice versa. The music is upbeat, but there are a lot of chimes. There's the slightly minor-keyed chorus, but there are also synthesizers. A song that suffers from a major identity crisis. Not my favorite on the single.

"Seeds of dream" sounds a little like Gundam music for the first minute or two, then rapidly turns in to DDR music. Listening to it, I was thrown back in time to college, to the basement of the EMU trying to beat "Butterfly" on medium then walking home with no shirt on because I was too hot. Figurative time travel, of course. Though if the CD came with scrolling, multi-colored dance steps it would have created enough temporal force to literally displace my body in space-time. That's not precisely a bad thing - I loved college! - but it is a little unexpected, and would likely turn off a lot of people in America. Even I don't think I could listen to it too often.

"Freedom (instrumental)" is solid music, though I liked it better when there were lyrics. That is, I liked it better when I wasn't listening too closely to the music. Not that it's bad! Not at all. I enjoy it quite a lot: it has these gorgeous high-pitched melodic elements and a rock vibe that I can get behind; I can see myself dancing to this at a club. It's good! But I don't think that it could stand up next to all the great dance music from MiChi and HALCALI that I've just discovered. For one thing, it has a yucky clap track that I could do without. Also, those pretty melodic bits don't last all that long, and they really are the best part of the song.

Overall, it was a pretty good single, and it kept being pretty good all through. On the other hand, I wasn't in love with any of it. How many times in a review should I have to say "Not that that's a bad thing?" I rest my case.


[PV] GIRL NEXT DOOR - Freedom
Uploaded by Maki-dream. - Explore more music videos.


Also: Woo! An entire week! :D Other than the JYJ mishap, I think I'm doing pretty well. Wish me continued luck, because I'm sure I'll need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment