Jan 15, 2011

Day 6 - Kuroki Meisa - 5 Five

"5 FIVE" is a pretty good single overall - better suited for the Top 5 spot it got than AKB48, to be sure. But still not as good as HALCALI's "ENDLESS NIGHT." I told you so!

The title track is pretty solid - a good dance track, but with highly repetitive lyrics that make me want to kind of punch Meisa. I mean, how many times am I expected to listen to someone sing "SAY ONETWOTHREEFOURFIVE!" Blech. The PV is pretty hilarious and weird, though.

"Only One" is also a pretty good dance track, but suffers from a problem as well. No, not repetitive lyrics - come on, you think Kuroki Meisa is some one-trick trick? - but instead it has a tendency to just STOP each time the chorus has been sung. It's kind of like Meisa gets a little lost, so she stops the musicians, thinks for a second, then cues them up again when she finds her place in the song. Weird. If not for that, it would be quite enjoyable. As is, I found it too frustrating.

"So Smooth" is probably my favorite vocal track. It suffers a little from repetitive lyrics (because Kuroki Meisa is a two-trick trick), but they're not nearly as bad as in "5 FIVE," and I actually really liked listening to it. I think I might add this one to my ongoing list of Fun Dance Songs That I Want To Hear More Than Once.

The instrumental for "5 FIVE" is the final track, and I hate to say it, but it's actually better than the version with the lyrics. I mean, there aren't any lyrics to be repetitive! What more could a girl want? Of course, it does suffer from a proliferation of 90s-dance sirens... *sigh* Meisa, how about you stop making repetitive music? Okay? Please? PLEASE?!

No comments:

Post a Comment