Jan 8, 2011

My Blogging Intent

I'm such a sucker for blogging.

I love to write, and I love to read, and I love crazy ideas.  Blogging takes care of all three.  When you add into the mix that people have gotten RICH! and FAMOUS! doing it, OMFGROFLCOPTER I'm so on board.  I just have some problems with commitment.

I should let you know that I technically have several blogs, and that none of them are updated often.  There's Erin Buying American, Daily Best Thing Ever, and my LiveJournal, Picking Up the Pieces, none of which have been updated in the past three months, and some of which haven't been updated in years.  So the same may happen to this one.  I tend to be long on crazy ideas and short on the ability to see them through.  This is mostly because I always expect that the world is just dying to know what I have to say, and when it turns out that's not actually the case, I get disappointed and quickly stop writing.  (That'll show them!)

But!

I'm hoping that I can make this blog work, if for only the fact that I'm writing it totally for myself.

I've been into Japanese music since I was in high school, when I fell madly in love with the band GLAY.  Now (one institute of mandatory education, one institute of higher education, two trips to Japan, two career changes, a husband, a baby, and ten years later) I'm not as in love with GLAY but still a huge fan of Japanese music.  Unfortunately, all the things that have happened in the past ten years have moved me slowly away from it so that I don't know as much as I once did.  To help remedy this, I began translating for the (seminal, ultimate, world-shaking, name-taking, ass-kicking) J-music podcast Gaijin Kanpai, but I still don't know as much as I'd like.

That's where this blog comes in.  I'm going to give myself a new Japanese music assignment each day, listen to it, then blog about it.  Depending on how much time I have, that might be a single song, a single, or an album... Or maybe it'll be a DVD of a live.  The music might be new or old, since there are a lot of classics I've missed.  The point is just to get me listening.  Maybe now and then I'll include a translation of a interview or a bit of news that I'm working on separate from GK.  I might not get RICH! or FAMOUS!, but with any luck I'll be able to keep up on Japanese music, learn about some bands that I didn't know exist, re-discover acts that I already knew, and get some writing in to boot.  Everybody wins.  And by everybody, I mean me.

So come along, if you wish!  Let's see what's out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment