Jan 18, 2011

Day 10 - Triple Feature Tuesday #2

alan x Fukui Kei - Ai ha Chikara
I was not expecting what I got from this single in the least. First of all, it's a one-song single, which is pretty uncommon in and of itself. Then, the music starts. Uh... What? I strive to listen and write across the genres of Japanese music, but I didn't expect to encounter this grand, operatic style at any point during my activities for this blog. I guess it just goes to show that even when you think nothing about Japan will ever surprise you, they have another surprise. The style is truly operatic and classical, sort of like "Time to Say Goodbye" from Andrea Bocchelli - very strong vocals from both singers, and solid music throughout, apparently played by a full orchestra. In addition to very clearly not synthesized violins, there were also upright basses, brass, and harps parts. Although it wasn't what I was expecting, it the song is still very good; however, you'll have to decide for yourself whether it's worth the buy, because this music is not up everyone's alley. (Then again, what is?)

Goto Maki - Gloria
This is an absolutely great album. I was surprised by it - I had assumed (from her name, what a shock) that she was another pop singer like Nishino Kana. Instead, the album is light on the pop and heavy on the rock, though it's not heavy rock. The only song that I'm not in love with is "Ashiato" (the only true pop song), but that's not to say that it's a bad song. Actually it's a good song, but when compared with everything else on the album, it just doesn't shine quite as bright. It would make a lovely A-side for some single; even as the "worst" song on the album, it's still that good. In terms of what I liked best, though, I think it's a tie between "Koi Ichiya" and "Fake." Or maybe a tie between those two and "Hanataba." Or maybe a tie between those three and "Age Kyoku." Did I mention there are only five tracks? Seriously - this album is solid all the way through, and every song is good enough that it could stand on its own. My only real critique would be that she's a little heavy on the chimes, but they only appear for two songs, so I don't know that the critique would be fair. Worth both a listen and a buy.



Monkey Majik - "Sakura"
Although I don't know a lot about them, I've pretty much decided that Monkey Majik is (for me, at least) the Japanese equivalent of Foo Fighters or System of a Down. No, not musically! I mean, I have never yet heard a song of theirs that I didn't like. "Sakura" is no exception. The title song is a ballad with piano, strings, acoustic and electric guitar... But it isn't whiny, which is my chief problem with the Japanese music industry's obsession with ballads. (Dear Japanese Music Execs: I know X Japan proved that ballads can be awesome. But that doesn't mean everyone's ballads are awesome.) The cherry on top is the PV - a must see. Although it's not my favorite (that would be "Change" feat. the Yoshida Brothers), it continues to prove that Monkey Majik can do no wrong. "With you" is also good - acoustic meets synth in a genre that I am having trouble pinning down. Listen to it. You'll know what I'm aiming at. The only track that I'm less than thrilled with is the acoustic version of "Sakura" on track 3, and that's no fault of Monkey Majik's: the song is still just as good acoustic. I just happen to feel that acoustic versions tend to be CD filler. I'm not sad that I got to hear it acoustic, and I would be quite happy if to hear the acoustic version live. But putting two slightly different versions of the same song on a single is just not cool. Save it for a "rare collections" disc or something. It's better marketing, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment