Feb 8, 2011

Day 31 - Kaggra, Koda Kumi

Happy One Full Month! Although there have been some bumps in the road, I've made it for 31 full days! If I can make it this far, I can do anything!

So maybe now I should stop labeling the day?

Yeah. I probably should.

Sadly, I was supposed to review three different CDs today, and I couldn't get my hands on one: KAT-TUN's "Ultimate Wheels." I've seen the PV and I'll say that I (surprisingly) like the song itself, but I can't very well review the single on the merits of just one song. Sorry! Here's the PV though, for your consideration and enjoyment:





Kaggra - Hyakkikenran
"Hyakkikenran" is a perfectly serviceable rock album, but nothing all that special. My biggest problem with it is that it's just light - light on rock flavor, light on visual flavor, light on Asian flavor, light on strength. The music is fine, but there's nothing that stirs me up or makes me want to dance or move or even pay attention to it. Need background music for a party? Assuming your friends like rock, "Hyakkikenran" is perfect. It would provide background noise that sounds good and might get the occasional head bob, but won't interfere with conversation. And it sure as hell won't inspire people to suddenly start dancing in your living room - no spilled drinks or coffee table-related injuries! Woot! But if you want something to listen to because you want to, I don't know, listen to some good music... Well, "Hyakkikenran" just doesn't fit that bill. Sorry.





Koda Kumi - POP DIVA
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but when "POP DIVA" came on, I instantly got excited. Darn it! I didn't want to like this single, didn't want to like anything by Koda Kumi. Kumi, after all, is known for being nothing if not uber-classy. Here, check out some of her lyrics:

"Throw everything away and be free / I want your hot spray"

"So baby take me, lick me with your tongue
Do it real well, make me say (Yes! Yes! Yes!)
Deeper and then deeper still
It’s S E X, come on"

"I want another climax
One more time, one more time
Let’s do it again and again, all night
We don’t need time out
So do, do, do me all night until the morning comes"

Yup. These aren't lyrics from anything on "POP DIVA," but they do show why I don't want to like any of Kumi's music. (I like sex as much as the next girl, but these lyrics are kinda gross. I mean, "Hot spray?" *shudder*) But damn it, "POP DIVA" is good! It's catchy, strong, well-constructed/mixed/produced, and Kumi's vocals are right on. The PV goes places that I never expected from a mainstream Japanese female artist. Even the instrumental is good - repetitive, but perfect for dancing to. Thankfully for my conscience, "BLACK CANDY" isn't nearly as good, and neither is it's instrumental - they're both classic B-sides that won't see the light of day again until a best-of anniversary album comes out. Whew! If I'd liked an entire Kumi single, I'd have had to question where my life was headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment