Feb 4, 2011

Day 27 - Kalafina - Red Moon

Lord almighty, did I miss three days in a row??? Life!!!! *shakes fist at the heavens*

The only way I can describe this album is "epic." No, not in the internet parlance way that just means "awesome, dude!" but in the classical way that means "heroic; majestic; impressively great." The styles and instrumentation completely change between songs, from Midnight Syndicate meets Trans-Siberian Orchestra title track "Red Moon," to the Spanish-flavored "Hikari no Senritsu," to the electronic "fantasia," to the "Arabian Nights" feel of "Yami no Uta"... You guys, I don't think I've heard this many kinds of styles since Bennie K's "The World," and on "Red Moon" they're frankly more solidly performed. And instrumentation! Instruments are heard include but certainly are not limited to real strings, tubular bells, xylophone, flute, piano, and more Indian instruments than I could competently name. Add the great variety and well-composed music to the strong vocal performance, and you have an amazing album. Much like many of the albums that I've been impressed by on this blog, I doubt that this is everyone's cup of tea. But you'd have to be crazy not to recognize that this is great music. My only complaint is that it's pretty hard to groove to. But, on the other hand, great to dance to! Love, love, love.

No comments:

Post a Comment