Feb 7, 2011

Day 30 - YU-A - 2GIRLS

This album was more artistic than I thought at first, then not as artistic as I thought at second. But YU-A's "2GIRLS" is still a delightful pop album that's fun and easy to listen to. This isn't an album to shake the genre to it's core, or even to push it anywhere close to it's boundaries. To be honest, most of the album is pretty basic and followed well-known paths through the pop universe. But for that, it's well-executed. The vocals are consistently good, and I'm a fan of the uptempo songs in a minor key. More than anything, though, I liked the duality of the CD. Although it's not drawn along perfectly clear lines (as I'd like), the album is roughly split into two types of songs: sad and lonely, and hard and angry. It seems that YU-A took the concept of "two girls" to heart, as it really feels like she's expressing two separate but equally valid parts of herself, dedicating about half the album to each. I preferred songs on the second half of the album - specifically "CHANGE," "I believe in myself," and "Fighting Girl" - but the entire album is a simple, tasty musical treat. Definitely worth a listen, especially if you like pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment