Jul 10, 2011

7/6/11 Releases (Part 1) - ONE OK ROCK, SuiseiNoboAz

ONE OK ROCK - "One Ok Rock Selection"
Single, Rock

Damn this is an ass-kicking single. Although One Ok Rock (pronounced "One Oke Rock," like "one o'clock" with a Japanese accent) is one of those bands that I've had a feeling I would really like, I haven't had a lot of experience with them to confirm that feeling. Sure, I watched the "Kanzen Kankaku Dreamer" PV (below), but one song isn't enough to know for sure whether you like a band. Now four songs - that would be plenty! If only I had four songs... Well would you look at that! "Selection" has four songs! And I'm convinced: these guys are amazing. Each of the songs is energetic and powerful, including "Answer Is Near," the "slow song." (I mean that in the sense that it's slower than the others, but it's really not that slow. I don't know if One Ok Rock knows the meaning of "slow song," and I hope they never learn.) If you want music that will make you dance in your seat and headbang a little, this is the single for you.



SuiseiNoboAz - "THE (OVERUSED) END OF THE WORLD and I MISS YOU MUH-FUH"
Album, Rock
The music on this album is so weird, and if you know me, then you know that's a good thing. The style that SuiseiNoboAz has juxtaposes very chill guitar and bass work with intense drums, backup guitar, and vocals. Unlike One Ok Rock, none of these songs is really fast or intense, but they do give that feeling because of one or two parts that are. This makes the songs really easy to listen to but keeps them well out of the soft rock genre. Each part is very skillfully played, and there are a lot of fun little stylistic treats throughout the album to keep your interest up: bubbly sounding bass in "ultra," rolling guitar in "shoegazer," a sort of jazzy cadence in "a song about camping," and others for each track. One annoying point is that the singer is always yelling, which wore on my ears after a whole album, but he uses a lot of very cutely poor Engrish pronunciation that redeems him. My favorite line is "I HATE YOU, MAH-ZUH-FAH-KAH!" in "64." Near-literal lolz occurred when I heard that. Overall, this album is weird enough to keep your interest, but normal enough to be approachable. More great balance on SuiseiNoboAz's part.

No comments:

Post a Comment