Mar 25, 2011

AZU - AZyoU - *love* *hug*

Thanks to Jaylee from Gaijin Kanpai for the recommendation today!

I didn't realize it when I first started listening to this album, but I actually have listened to AZU before. I even reviewed one of her singles. ...Yeah...

Of course, it only took hearing the opening for "Broken Heart" and I just about jumped out of my seat with excitement. It's been over a month and that songs is still good.

I was surprised, but I really liked this ablum. Although it's not a pop revolution like ICONIQ's "Change Myself" or JASMINE's "GOLD," it's as easy to listen to as warm water is to slip into. The tracks range between quiet and slightly sad to quiet and slightly upbeat - only "AKS99" breaks the trance midway through the album with a much more energetic, refreshing sound. AZU's voice is beautiful, and the collaborations - with Yunhak from Choushinsei, SEAMO and K&G, and Hinouchi Emi - work with her voice and into the style of the album to compliment it. Unlike a some collaborations that stick out like awkward hairy moles that ruin an otherwise good face, these collaborations a more like cute Shiina Ringo moles that make a good album just a little better.

AZU's collaborations
BENNIE BECCA


Still, the album wasn't perfect. It takes a bit of a downturn with "Tashika na Koto," which isn't really bad so much as it's "meh." The album stays just inside "meh" territory until "AKS99" comes in and shakes things up and gets them back on track. But even with that minor downtun the sound is fairly homogenous but with just enough variation to keep it from being boring, each track leading easily into the next and making for a relaxing overall experience. This solid balance is something that most artists blatantly fail at, so this no small achievement on AZU's part.

Also, as if in answer to my prayers, AZU used precious little in the way of chimes in this album. The first time I listened to it I didn't notice them at all, and even when I went back specifically to find them they were so few and so subtle that most were still pretty hard to notice. I was delighted. GOOD JOB, AZU! you win a cookie!



No comments:

Post a Comment